Even for maintaining a healthy growth, the deliverables must be much above the expectations of the client keeping the operational costs down and within the specified time frame. If the increasing demand for the product thus created have to met, then innovation becomes the need of the hour and an essence for any successful business to survive.
I have taken Microsoft as the organization for analysis of business environment and have performed SWOT and PESTEL evaluation of its business. Microsoft being one of the most renowned companies in the world and frequent amongst the Fortune toppers offers a lot to learn from the innovative processes it has followed for more than a decade.
Founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen on April 4, 1975 in Albuquerque(US) it is today a Multinational corporation which deals in computer software, computer hardware, research and development, gaming; a corporation that manufactures, outsources, licenses and supports a wide range of software products like Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Servers, Developer Tools, Microsoft Expression, Business Solutions, Games & Xbox 360, Windows Live, Windows Mobile.
Board of Directors consists of ten people, made up of mostly company outsiders. Current members of the board of directors are: Steve Ballmer, James Cash, Jr., Dina Dublon, Bill Gates, Raymond Gilmartin, Reed Hastings, David Marquardt, Charles Noski, Helmut Panke, and Jon Shirley. There is an Executive Team which includes the Chairman and Chief Software Architect, the CEO, the General Counsel and Secretary, the Chief Financial Officer, senior and group vice presidents from the business units, the CEO of the Europe, the Middle East and Africa regions; the heads of Worldwide Sales, Marketing and Services; Human Resources; and Corporate Marketing.
Business Environment of Microsoft (SWOT Analysis):
1) Microsoft is one of the leading brands and one of the top companies featured in Fortune 500 list of companies. The operating system Windows, provided by Microsoft, is one of the most favorite operating systems of most of the people across the world. Apart from this, the office suit supplied by Microsoft which includes MS Word, MS excel etc. can be found on almost all the computers across the globe. Not only does it provide software for home and office computers, laptops and mobile devices but it also is one of the leaders in the Market of servers, gaming products and hardware devices.
2) Creating a Brand Name is one of the toughest jobs for a company. Microsoft has been very successful in creating a Brand Name for itself and is therefore increasing the names in the list of its customers every single hour.
3) Microsoft has a wide web of offices and has its presence in every continent of the world except Antarctica. It has its offices situated in more than three dozen countries of the civilized world.
1) The on-line support provided by Microsoft is not up to the highest standard. Even the support available on phone is not available 24*7. It should be not that after delivery support for the softwares is an important criteria for the customers making any purchase and the lack of best quality support can definitely has a negative influence in the mind of the customer.
2) It is generally seen that the software products offered by Microsoft have compatibility