Please boost your Plan to download papers
The economic and environmental factors affecting UST’s operations - Coursework Example
Author : lew79
Pages 10 (2510 words)
This research aims to evaluate and present economic and other environmental factors affecting UST’s operations; primary business risks associated with UST’s business; impact of the capitalization process on profits and interest cover; reasons for leveraged recapitalization…
The firm that is analyzed in the paper is UST Inc. UST Inc is involved in the manufacture of tobacco products which continue to be one of the oldest and most profitable industries. This fact has been borne out not only in the ratios but the fact that the company has been identified as the most profitable company in the United States by one of the most trusted sources – Forbes. The financial results speak to this fact. However, as in any industry there is competition and what has been happening is that even though the market is growing by 3.7% per annum UST has not been able to grow with it. This is due to the fact that the company has not been responding appropriately to the threats posed by its competitors. However, there are some environmental factors that have been affecting the company and so UST needs to answer these and other questions including:
• What environmental factors affect the operations of UST’s business?
• What business risks does the company face,
• Can the company undertake the recapitalisation process effectively?
• Why is UST considering recapitalisation and what would be the incremental effect on the company’s value?
• What other factors beyond interest rate shields should UST consider in assessing the value of its recapitalisation plan?
The environmental factors include political/legal, economic, and social issues. In addition to industry factors these affect every business and should therefore be given due consideration. In terms of the political/legal aspects the tobacco industry has been faced with tough regulations.