For example, the behavioral approach incorporates rewards, incentives, and other extrinsic motivators for students while humanization incorporates self-actualization and intrinsic motivators. Cognitive and sociocultural approaches also incorporate intrinsic motivators as they focus on personal beliefs and attributes along with personal and group identity. The social cognitive approach is both extrinsic and intrinsic as it incorporates goals and intentions. To increase attendance and achievement, our school will implement new policies and procedures using these five motivational approaches. Our goal is to spark and maintain student interest through clear and manageable attendance and achievement policies that include the entire school community.
95% of students will have a positive attendance rate. A positive attendance rate is no more than six unexcused absences and eight total absences for the entire year. That is, three unexcused per semester and four the entire school year. For each unexcused absence, parents of student will receive a phone call home, class and home work is required to be made-up. Student will miss recess and serve lunch detention until said work is completed. After three unexcused absences, a conference will be set up between parents, teachers, and counselors to discuss the situation and possible solutions.
80% of students will score "meets" expectations or "exceeds" expectations at the end of each semester. The remaining 20% will rise from "falls far below" expectations to "approaches" expectations. Achievement goals is particularly important in education as it is believed that by differentially reinforcing some goals (and not others), teachers can influence (change) the reasons why students learn—that is, change their motivation (Covington, 2000). The mission and vision of schools are aligned to help students reach the goals that they have established for their ...Show more