Please boost your Plan to download papers
Reasons why marijuana should be declared illegal - Admission Essay Example
Legalizing the use of Marijuana will not benefit anybody except its manufacturers who could care less about the welfare of the public. …
The reason that Sen. Romney specifically mentions pain management and the medical use of Marijuana in his speech is because most people who lobby for the legalization of the substance do so on the basis of humanitarian reasons based upon medical needs. However, the medical community has already done extensive studies on the matter and have discovered that most of the previous beliefs about the benefits of medical Marijuana were not exactly accurate. As medical doctors, these healers are bound by their oath to preserve the life of their patient and to enact treatments that will not harm the patient. Medical practitioners thought that controlled use of Marijuana among their end of life stage of patients or patients with chronic pain would help ease their suffering. However, it was discovered by the Institute of Medicine in their report titled “Medicine: Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science base (Stanford, Mark PhD. “Contraindications & Standards of Care A Review of the Literature”) that:
1. Marijuana is not a benign substance as previously believed
2. Smoked crude marijuana has no medical value and is contraindicated in general
3. Numerous studies suggest that marijuana smoke is an important risk factor in the development of respiratory disease.
4. While early literature suggests some potential benefits if marijuana for the treatment of glaucoma, nausea, and muscle spasms, by today’s standards there are much better and safer drugs available.
5. The psychological effects of cannabinoids, such as anxiety reduction, sedation, and euphoria, can influence their potential therapeutic value. Those effects are potentially undesirable for certain patients and situations.