The nurses of the centre are also actively involved with patients who stay at home. They give them support and best counselling to ensure that their situation is better. The centre was established in 1975 and it was the first of its kind and offers free services Payne, Seymour and Ingleton (2008. p. 368)
The centre depends entirely on donations and financial commitment from other people to enable the centre run smoothly. Government funding accessed by the centre can only cater for 28% of budget. For 2014-2015 financial years, the centre will need about £8 million. Out of this the government has only taken care of 28% and therefore the rest has to be raised by the centre. The centre uses 85% of its expenditure on direct costs where as the remaining 15% is used in support cost.
Below is a description of a proposal aimed at creating awareness and raising funds for St. Luke’s Hospice. This is a one day event that is aimed at getting the community around Sheffield involved in raising funds as well as give emotional support to the patients in the centre. A community has high chances of participating in a charity especially if the community is the primary beneficiary Stelljes (2008, p. 150)
Sheffield is known to produce top names in the world in all fields. May it be entertainment, sports, politics, business, education you name it. Most of these people were born, raised or live in Sheffield. They are what we call celebrities. They have a massive influence in the society and most people admire them. St. Luke’s is more of a community centre considering that its operations are primarily focused on the people of Sheffield. The centre has helped many people in fighting their illness. The idea of this proposal is to work with one of the celebrities who have their roots in Sheffield to hold a one day event that will attract all the residents within 20 miles radius in Sheffield.