Some of the people at the carnival were suspicious of fortune-tellers and as they walked past the booths they made fun of the gypsies.
9. One gypsy explained that telling fortunes was less about helping others' lives than to make his own living.
One gypsy explained that telling fortunes had more to do with making a living than it had to do with helping others.
10. Fortune-telling is difficult to categorize because it is neither a science, art, or religion.
Fortunte-telling is difficult to categorize because it is not a science, an art, or a religion.
Combine sentences and expand the sentences with details to add interest and variety.
1. Washington is the only state named after a president. Many cities and counties are named after presidents.
Many cities and counties are named after president, but only one state is named after a president: Washington.
2. California is bordered by the Pacific Ocean. There are many islands, waterways, and rivers not to mention the evergreen forests near the coast.
California may be bordered by the Pacific Ocean, but many islands, rivers, and forests can be still found near the coast.
3. The car battery would not start. The battery was dead. I called a tow truck.
I called a tow truck since the battery was dead and the car would not start.
4. She was not like her sister in fact they were total opposites.
She was nothing like her sister; they were total opposites, in fact.
5. Ricky Martin will remain my favorite singer although he has fallen out of fashion and I think he is terrific. He has done some free concerts for good causes too.
Although he has fallen out of fashion, Ricky Martin is still my favorite singer both because he is a terrific vocalist and because he...
8. Holly was told she was going to be a beauty someday. At sixteen she was thin. She was severe. She wore thick glasses down on her nose. Her shoulder bones showed through her shirt. They seemed to puncture her skin.
Holly had a severe appearance characterized by being so thin that her shoulder bones seemed to puncture right through her skin. Despite the fact that her shoulder bones actually showed through her shirt and the fact that she wore thick glasses that continually slipped down her nose, she was told she would one day be beautiful.