StudentShare solutions
Triangle menu

The Moon Illusion - Essay Example

Nobody downloaded yet

Extract of sample
The Moon Illusion

However, some experts note the same illusory phenomenon happens to the sun as well as constellations. (Plait, 2008) (Simanek, 2002)
The "experts" hail from astronomy and astrophysics, geometry and mathematics, philosophy and psychology, physics and light-wave science (as in electromagnetic spectrum visible light), and, of course, NASA (the National Aeronautic Space Administration). Some who try to explain the Illusion say and have said they're not experts as much as they are admirers of moonrises and moonlit nights. They noticed the Illusion phenomenon and thoughtfully pondered it. They've invested time and energy toward solving the mystery. So, in some explanations trying to account for the Moon Illusion, besides intellectual calculations, often there are emotional components, akin to "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."
Explanations are centuries old as well as comparatively new. They run the gamut in-between. Champions of various ideas don't usually have adversarial confrontations. Rather, ongoing dialogs center around this theory compared to that theory. Some theories proffer physical rationale and/or geometry. Others theories propose, "It's all in your head!"
The website named "Sandlot Science" asserts that about 85% of people are able to see the Illusion. The interesting questions are, "What about the other 15% Why don't they see it" Some mathematics-based explanations purport that the moon is always the same size. Thus, the 15% merely see reality. The other 85% are playing tricks on themselves. Nonetheless, for anyone in the 15% who has not seen the Illusion and is curious to see what 85% of their fellow Earthlings see, this link to has an interactive graphic display showing the Illusion phenomenon.

The moon's size may be exaggerated somewhat in Sandlot's simulation. Near the horizon it is 150% of the size that it is high in the sky (the top right corner of the simulation). Then again, maybe 150% is not stretched quite as much as a fish story about the size of one that got away. During some nights, people report seeing the moon bigger on the horizon than on other nights. Why is that Science-minded people notice that this is often true about summer nights.

Here is one physical theory. Air is hotter in summer. Heat radiates from Earth's surface after sunset. It permeates upward. In the summer this happens on roads, in deserts and elsewhere depending on how cooked a surface gets from the sun beating down on it. To the human eye it looks like shimmering heat waves rippling upward from the baked surface. The shimmer and ripple effect is distortion caused by heat. Heat wave distortion rippling around the image of hot objects makes them look larger than on normal days when heat waves aren't visible. Air is a fluid. Light refracts in fluid. Heat coursing in a fluid can distort appearances of objects seen through the fluid. Because of the rippling nature of the heat waves, an object's appearance ripples a little bit to the left, a little bit to the right, a little bit up, and a bit downward. Ergo, visibly the object's image enlarges perceptibly in all directions. The image shimmers ...Show more


This writing reviews explanations and supporting theories about "The Moon Illusion," the phenomenon experienced by most people watching the moon rise above the horizon. The moon appears to be perceptibly bigger than it looks hours later that same night when it is much higher in the sky…
Author : callie18
The Moon Illusion essay example
Read Text Preview
Save Your Time for More Important Things
Let us write or edit the essay on your topic
"The Moon Illusion"
with a personal 20% discount.
Grab the best paper

Check these samples - they also fit your topic

A Critical Analysis of Duncan Joness Moon
A Critical Analysis of Duncan Jones’s Moon. The following essay is a case study of Duncan Jones’s renowned movie Moon (2009 ). The movie is a science fiction presentation of the future , whereby an individual by the name Sam Bell who plays the role of a superintendent, is in charge of a moon mine.
8 pages (2000 words) Essay
The False Memory Illusion
The original research, by Deese, gives lists of words whose association is probability ranked. Brainerd & Wright base their forwards associative strength (FAS) and backward associative strength (BAS) forgetting that the lists are associatively forward linked, i.e.
3 pages (750 words) Essay
Paul Gauguin and Illusion
This essay discusses the representation of illusion in painting of Gauguin. The spectrum of human activity encompassed by the painting spans all of life, from birth to death, in all its wondruous diversity. The new-born child lying in the grass, seeing the light of day for the first time, marks one boundary of Gauguin’s stage, and the careworn old woman.
8 pages (2000 words) Essay
Moon Phases
The changing positions result in its light being felt differently on earth. For instance, at times it is stronger and its light is felt for longer (Lang 66). When the moon is in between the sun and the earth as shown in picture eight, its effects are not felt.
1 pages (250 words) Lab Report
Project 2: Moon Journal
The position at this time changes relative to the stars in the sky having in mind that there are 360 degrees in a complete circle
1 pages (250 words) Essay
Moon Journal
From research, I found out that the moon takes approximately 27.3 days to rotate the earth. That means that every day it moves about 13.2° each day eastwards relative to the position of the stars. The stars move across the sky in
1 pages (250 words) Essay
The Power of Illusion
Public at the same time was fed with lies; turning traitors like Benedict Arnold into national heroes. Hatred for the people of color was promoted to such an extent that practices like blockbusting became a reality. The extreme
1 pages (250 words) Essay
Similarly, at a railway crossing, the red lights flashing, that flare in alteration is static though normally appears to be in motion. Due to these examples, it is therefore evident that not everything that one sees is
4 pages (1000 words) Essay
Muller- Lyer Illusion Experiment
The experiment further revealed that the angle between the shaft and obliques of the figures varied depending on the levels of adjustments. The increase of the angles led to the decrease in the illusion of the obliques. Furthermore, the experiment revealed
3 pages (750 words) Essay
Moon Titan
Unlike other moon, Titan is dense due to its higher gravity and large size. The atmosphere of Titan is composed of double cloud layers of 200km and 300km, which is equivalent to 125 miles and 186 miles respectively above the surface. Titan
1 pages (250 words) Essay
Get a custom paper written
by a pro under your requirements!
Win a special DISCOUNT!
Put in your e-mail and click the button with your lucky finger
Your email
Comments (0)
Rate this paper:
Thank you! Your comment has been sent and will be posted after moderation