b. ANCC certification is important because it opens doors. It validates skills and increases salaries. According to the AMA website, the certification can mean $9,000 increase over other nurse salaries. Governing boards, insurers, and military, as well as healthcare providers throughout the country see this as a testament to the competency of the nurse with the certification. www.nursingworld.org
b. There are many factors affecting the nursing shortage. Many nurses that are presently working are getting ready to retire. The average age has continued to increase over the last few years. For many years the numbers of nursing schools declined as the numbers of people declined as well as hospitals. Now it is a game of catch up to get enough nursing schools, train enough instructors and improve salaries and benefits in such a way that it is attractive to enough people.
c. The State of California has been increasing the numbers of RN graduates at a steady pace. They have managed that by increasing state funding to nursing programs, for equipment, and for instructional technologies. They are also studying the career paths that nurses are taking when graduating so they can begin to change patterns of education where needed.
3. National League of Nursing
a. The mission of the National League of Nursing is to assure that the world has not only a strong and diverse workforce but a well educated one.
b. Goals include:
1. Being a leader in managing diversity in the world of nursing.
2. Leading the way to excellent and innovative nursing education throughout the world.
3. The creation of a worldwide community of nursing educators that can assure
excellence in nursing education.
4. Promotes improved healthcare, quality and safety through a well educated
a. By HIPPA regulations healthcare is to protect the following:
1. Any information that your doctors, nurses, or other healthcare workers have
gathered in doing their jobs.
2. Conversations your doctor may have about you with other healthcare workers.
3. Information that is in any insurance system that you may have used.
4. Any billing information that is between you and your clinic.
b. Patient information must be protected:
1. By teaching healthcare workers what should be protected and how.
2 All healthcare institutions should take appropriate measure to assure that your
information is not shared.
3. Any mental health information between you and your therapist is not shared.
5. Associate Degree Nursing
a. The RN is a dynamic member of the healthcare team, contributing to diversity an culture. The RN is able to collaborate with all of the stakeholders in the healthcare system as the advocate for her patients care and for delivery of quality healthcare.
b. The goal of the education of an Associate Degree nurse is to create a well defined pathway into the field of