By doing so, author aims to broaden the level of critical thinking as well as communication skills.
There is one basic issue which is being discussed in this memo which is basically the outsourcing of the information systems of the State's department of transport. Apart from the main issue, other issues which are discussed include lowering wages, jobs lost by the workers, giving access of information systems to third parties, as well as supporting in next elections if the idea of outsourcing the existing systems is opposed at the appropriate level. While concluding, Glenn, Barbara, outlined that the proposal for outsourcing is not only against the interests of the current employees, but it is also against the State and shall be abandoned in order to save the jobs of many who may be rendered jobless due to relocation of their jobs as well as of their job skills may become obsolete.
There are different reasons which are being cited as potential harms of the process of privatizing the information systems. While discussing such impacts, memo discusses following reasons for opposing the move by Governor to outsource the Information systems:
3. By dispersing employees to new locations for jobs, not only their skills will become inferior, but they may find it difficult to cope with the change. Such employees who are nearing their superannuation may find it extremely difficult to learn new skills therefore may be shown the door due to lack of skills and competencies.
4. The proposed outsourcing of the job therefore would result into the job losses for many of the employees as it has historically been witnessed that management hardly keep its promises.
What words or phrases are ambiguous
The memo contains following ambiguous words and phrases:
1. To outsource and privatize: Outsourcing is not privatization. It seems that the author of the memo failed to clearly distinguish between the two concepts.
2. Executive branch of government: It is ambiguous as to how those employees who are working in a purely technical job can work at an executive branch of the government. From this perspective, it may be inferred that the government may finally lay them off.
3. Proposed privatization is an assault on our union: Again this seems to be a misconception as unions successfully exist into private organizations also.
4. Anti-American: The assumption that outsourcing or privatization is anti-American may be ambiguous because America is probably the only country in the world which strongly advocates free market economies.
5. Foreign agents will bid for this privatization contract: It is not necessary that outsourcing process can only be given to foreign contractors. Local contractors can too offer such services.
6. According to the online website Wikipedia: Wikipedia may not be considered as a reliable source of information.
7. You rebut the governor's proposal: The phrase may be indicating a partial and biased opinion of author towards Governor.
What are the value conflicts and