It is known that international students are not subsidized by the Australian government and pay full fees for all courses. This mandate is under the Education Services for Overseas Student (ESOS) Act under the Federal legislation. An examination of recent researches and data indicates that educational tourism revenue have been steadily gaining an upward strength and ultimately surpasses tourism as the top services export this year. Recent studies show that 40% of the total expenses of international students were spent on tuition fees, and the remaining 60% were spent on other goods and services such as food and accommodation (National Centre, 7).
This paper will discuss the effects of educational tourism to skilled immigration and travel and tourism, and detail the business industries who greatly benefit from international education. The paper will also evaluate which five countries are the top sources for international students, and the possible reasons why these countries generate the most number of foreign students.
Since the number of foreign students in Australia is considered relatively high, it is fair to hypothesize that a large part of the country's overall revenue is generated from the expenses of these population group. It is also important to keep in mind that these foreign students may be considered as an investment in the country's future as numerous foreign students have acquired quality education in the country before, and that allowed them to gain significant qualifications that definitely created a difference in their lives. These graduates will be highly skilled in their careers and can be influential in their own countries in the future. Their past bond with Australia at a major point in their lives will aid Australia in creating bridges on people-to-people, cultural, and business ties with these nations. Those students who will gain permanent residence in the country will also definitely give positive impact on Australia. Since most of these students are taking up courses in the vocational education and training fields, these skilled people can make major contributions to Australia by filling skill shortages in some fields.
VII. Scope and Limitation
In this study, statistics of foreign student expenditures, foreign student country sources, and travel tourism linked to international education were collected and analyzed. One-on-one
interviews were done in a limited range just so to support the claims of the statistical data gathered from legitimate sources.
As every research problem is unique, a generally applicable research design does not exist, and the most appropriate approach for each research problem and its objectives must be selected (Burns and Bush, 116) to ensure that the undertaken research is valid and reliable (Polonsky and Waller, 84). In the research study at