Abhidhamma: Some centuries after Buddha died, Buddhists began to compile the teachings in new ways of organization that highlighted their significance. This compilation is called Abhidhamma (or Abhidharma). Later, Abhidhamma texts themselves became revered and also formed an…
5. Buddha: Particularly used as an epithet for Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhist religion. In general terms, used for such individuals who attain nirvana and therefore free themselves from all material needs and the cycle of life and death and subsequently teach their knowledge to others.
6. Dharma: In Buddhism, this refers to the doctrine and collection of teachings of Buddha that form the natural and uniform laws of conduct and being. In Jainism, it refers to the natural inclination of an object to perform its pre-ordained function. Used for the soul, it refers to the virtues that lead to attaining spiritual greatness.
7. Eightfold Path: This is the fourth of the Four Noble Truths in Buddhism and signifies the path one takes to end suffering. The elements of the Eightfold Path deal with understanding or wisdom of reality, ethics, and concentration to control one’s mind, all culminating in the elimination of greed, hatred and other undesirable attitudes.
8. Four Noble Truths: Fundamental to Buddhist beliefs, the Four Noble Truths were delivered by Buddha in his first sermon to his five companions after his enlightenment, or reaching Bodhi. These truths are existence of suffering such as birth, death or illness, causes of suffering such as desire and pleasure, elimination of suffering such as by renouncing desire and craving, and the path that leads to elimination of suffering.
9. Hinayana: Literary meaning “Lesser Vehicle”, this term was applied to the ancient schools of Buddhism in an uncomplimentary sense by followers of Mahayana (literal meaning “Greater Vehicle”) school of thought. Today some argue that the present Theravadins are close to the Hinayana traditions while others dispute it.
10. Mahayana: The Mahayana school of thought in Buddhism is traced to the beginning of the Common Era when it began as a religious movement in India and later spread to Central and East Asia. Today, the Buddhism practiced in Japan, China, ...
Cite this document
(“H.W Book Report/Review Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 words”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.net/miscellaneous/403529-hw
(H.W Book Report/Review Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 Words)
“H.W Book Report/Review Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1250 Words”, n.d. https://studentshare.net/miscellaneous/403529-hw.
What makes Andersen's use of the technique distinctive is how he treats death in these stories and uses the concept as a foil for the deeper themes of faith and trust. For Andersen, and the two mothers in these stories, death is a personality-an actual character in the story.
between the various fundamentalist Islamic groups, he says that to him the key to an appropriate approach lies in recognizing these differences and the threats posed by them. One would expect the author, who has worked as a counterterrorism professional under both George H.W.
Vedic religious practices, before they became ritualistic, were comparatively simple and they tended human life very close to the nature. Regardless of the Vedic concept of a Supreme Being, for better emotional satisfaction, sages (Rishi) personified natural
When moral relativism is understood in a moral way, it seems to be exposed to various criticisms. For instance, it is argued that the doctrine is logically incoherent, for it assumes that all principles are specific
When I could make the trip on September 30, WestAir charged me an additional $169. The booking agent refused to look at the letter from my father’s doctor describing the hospitalization. She informed me to write to WestAir headquarters. I can provide my
I would like to be given the opportunity to work in a managerial position in the near future.
Pursuant to your advertised career opportunities posted in your official website, I would like to apply for the position of Windows 7 Technical Consultant for the East Coast of the
Most narrating takes place in Manhattan in the months after September11th bombing in the U.S. The atmosphere created is that Han feels every moment he steps out of the door of his apartment seems to have affected
nly speak about American elections, but he goes deeply into analyzing how the race to White House is initiated, how the campaigns are funded, who calls the shots in which states, and the interrelationship between party politics and different states’ alignment to political
reflect on the contributions of these great economists, but goes further to analyze the relevance of the various economic theories and their impacts in the current world. Throughout this book, Todd re-examines the various landmark economic theories of the past decades and
7 Pages(1750 words)Book Report/Review
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Book Report/Review on topic H.W for FREE!