The Humber region is one of the busiest regions in the UK in terms of trading activities. There are about 47,000 people employed in this region. The region is endowed with several ports, rail and road networks…
Ports are a major part of the Humber region. The Seafood industry in the Humber region began as far back as the 18th century when the Grimsby Port was opened. Most of the materials that were imported through this port included iron, timber, wheat, hemp and flax. Coal was the main export material from the port. Even before the port was built, there had been a deep-rooted fishing heritage in the Humber area. Another important port in the Humber region is the Immingham Port which was formally opened in 1913 by King George (Green and Randles, 2006).
The port at Hull is another important port that was built in the 12th century for the sole purpose of wool exportation to Belgium and Holland. Products such as wine, iron, wood, wax, pitch and furs were imported through this port. A dock was later built to help decongest the busy port in 1778. Another important port in the Humber region is the Goole Port which was built for the exportation of coal from Leeds to other cities (Ellis and Crowther, 1990). Other important infrastructure in the Humber region includes a Tram way that was built in 1928 to connect Immingham and Grimsby. The First RoRo berth was built in 1966. There is also the Gas jetty that focuses on the imports of butane. The jetty was built in 1985.
The opening of the Humber International Terminal in 2000 greatly helped ease transport logistics between Humber and other cities in the UK, Europe and the rest of the world. The Humberside Airport, which was previously a RAF base, was opened in 1974 under the name Kirmington Airport. After its re-development in the early 90s, it became the second busiest heliport in the United Kingdom (Green and Randles, 2006).
The Humber region also boasts a vast railway network which has gone a long way to make transport easier in the region. The railway network was first introduced to Grimsby in 1848 and in 1912 in Immingham. Hull’s ...
Cite this document
(“Logistics in Context Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1500 words”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.net/miscellaneous/413246-logistics-in-context
(Logistics in Context Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1500 Words)
“Logistics in Context Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 1500 Words”, n.d. https://studentshare.net/miscellaneous/413246-logistics-in-context.
This paper seeks to discuss elements of logistics in an organization such as BMW. The paper will answer particular questions on logistics. Question 1 Evaluation of the statement, ‘inventory generates costs that should be minimized’ Inventory refers to the set of goods or materials that are held by an entity at a particular time.
Its operations started on the west coast of Africa in 1923 as Lever Brothers Nigeria Ltd. It is a subsidiary of Unilever Plc of UK. Over the years through several mergers and acquisitions, the company’s name changed to Unilever Plc to reflect the diverse holdings of the owners.
Such an intensity of the research activity can be easily explained by the fact that well-tuned and efficient logistics system creates the competitive advantage for the company. An organization wishing to implement integrated business logistics management faces many great challenges, but can potentially reap considerable benefits.
Today, 49% of the equity of the company is owned by Nigerians and Nigerian organizations, while the remaining 51% is owned by Unilever Plc of UK.
The company prides itself as being in virtually almost all
Logistics is aimed at firms and customers. Its great significance cannot be undermined.
Logistics has some connection to the concept of supply chain in that it refers to the integration of business functions involving the transfer of materials from
The company’s mill is situated on the banks of the Lossie River, Elgin. From a broader understanding, the company has been able to attract its customers through the deliverance of quality products to them and in
a result, it becomes the prime responsibility of every entrepreneur or governmental business process to understand every aspect of logistics business process in a much effective manner (Aveta Limited, 2014). From a management perspective, one can refer logistics as a credential
16 Pages(4000 words)Essay
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Essay on topic Logistics in Context for FREE!