1. Pros: Since the designs have primarily been designed for women, they exude sexuality. The woman’s sexuality has been celebrated in my design through the subtle use of cuts and fits that emphasize womanly curves.
2. The celebration of Life and Death: My collection is a celebration of both life and death. Life is celebrated by using contemporary patterns and forms, and yet the element of death is not forgotten. Death is hinted at through the monotone palette used in the entire collection.
3. Gender Roles Ambiguity: Though this collection is designed for women, the use of colors and the form of the designs create an ambiguity of gender roles. I have used a palette that goes away with the vibrant colors so that the outfits could enjoy more of a unisex feel.
4. The celebration of the ‘Grotesque Body’: When I created this collection, I chose to accentuate certain curves of the body, while doing away with those that are not considered flattering in today’s society. The ideal figure in today’s society has a liking towards the ‘Grotesque Body’.
5. Social Overturning: In this collection, the element of social overturning is also found. Using bold shapes and cuts, I have been able to create an aura of authority for the wearer of the garment. As this collection is meant for females, I have to able to give authority to females in a male dominant society.
6. Crowning and Uncrowning: The coats and layers that are present in my design collection create an impact of crowing and uncrowning. Coats are usually associated in the modern world as a symbol of the business and elite class. While coats create the whole feel of the garment, they could also be removed and thus the element of crowing and uncrowning is also present.