y include the respect of and access to education, large developed middle class, active civil societies, social pluralism and nonexistence of extremes of wealth and poverty.
6. Checks and balances are provisions in the constitution that are put in place to ensure that power is evenly dispersed within the federal government. An example is Article 1 section 8 which defines the powers of the US Congress.
7. One way through which the constitution has expanded voting right is by ensuring that citizens are not denied voting rights on the basis of color or race. This was done by the 15th Amendment of the US Constitution.
8. The commerce clause refers to article 1, section 8, clause 3 of the US Constitution that gives the congress power to regulate commerce among states. The significance of Gibbons v. Ogden is that it limited the regulatory power of state governments over interstate navigation (Bardes, Shelley and Schmidt 103)
16. The US has a winner takes all system. A distinguishing factor between this system and the Proportional representation system is that in the first system, the candidate with the majority votes represents 100% of the votes.
17. Term limit refers to legal restriction of the number of years in which elected government officials are in office. This helps in evaluating their performance and giving the citizens chance to choose a new system (Bardes, Shelley and Schmidt 83)
18. Lame ducks refer to government officials who are nearing end of their political term. Term limit makes them unable to continue implementing their policies as they can be changed by the next elected