The definition of child labor is engagement of children below a certain age in any work which hampers the mental, educational and physical well being of the child. More than half the children in the world work almost 9 hours a day on minimal wage.It is a myth that child labor has been totally eradicated from the developed countries as well. In industrialized countries exists though it may be outlawed or tightly regulated when compared to the developing countries where even today it remains a way of life .According to the US l department of labor “more than 400 children were illegally employed in 1988” and the number has been growing ever since (Landrigan et al, 1995,p657).According to a report published by Maplecroft the top countries engaged in child labor include Eritrea, Somalia, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc (CNN, 2013).ILO has reported in the 3rd Global Conference on Child Labor 2013 that the number of child laborers has dropped from 246 million to 168 million however more emphasis must be made on reforms to ensure the planned child labor eradication by 2016. However, there are several truths and obstacles on the way to eradicate this evil from the society.Poverty and Child LaborOne of the most decisive factors for child labor is dearth of financial stability. Poor families have no money to support the family or invest in schooling of their children. To ensure financial security these poor families are forced to make children work. In Bangladesh, the core issue is poverty and almost 50%. of its population are below the poverty line prescribed by its national standards .Catastrophic natural calamities, widely spread corruption, lack of education are reasons that the State is ill-equipped to handle poverty which leads to “a signiﬁcant proportion of child workers and child laborers (65.4%) are found in the agricultural sector, while the remaining portion (34.6%) is divided between the service sector (10.3%), manufacturing sector (8.2%)transport and communications sector (1.8%), and the informal domestic-work sector (14.3%)” (Ruwanpura & Roncolato, 2006, p361). In Africa and Sub-Saharan regions, poverty results into unequal access to opportunities and resources. 47% of the African population lives on $1 per day and the percentage of poor families is rising which compels younger children to work in worst forms of child labor which are sometimes hazardous. Some children are even forced into bonded labor, armed conflict, pornography, prostitution and other illegal activities.” In some of the poorest African countries such as the Central African Republic, Chad, Guinea-Bisseau, Niger, Sierra Leone, and Togo, for example, more than 50 percent of children are engaged in economic activity” (Ronald, 2005, p23).
Immorality of Employers
Many employers illegally hire children for work purposes since the latter provides them soft targets. Since children seldom are able to protest these immoral employers engage in paying the children less money for huge amounts of work.
Large family size is mostly seen in the poor sectors of the society. This mostly happens owing to dearth of proper education, lack of family planning and poverty. Parents often see children as