Employment Opportunities for Young People in UK

Masters
Essay
Sociology
Pages 10 (2510 words)
Download 0
I have attached my dissertation prop, the literature review i used for prop, but i have been toled that 'the literature review i used is not much an outline of the literature i am going to review but a disorganised discription of what it says.'
Thesis: the specialised Diplomas being introduced for 14-19 year olds will reduce drop out rates in Key Stage 4 (KS4) but will not assist young people to find rewarding careers suited to their interests and abilities.

Introduction


Since 1951 it has consistently been the top 3% of students - as measured by A-level capped performance - who have had the luxury of learning for its own sake (Ainley, 2006). The destinations post-16 of the remaining 97% were not assiduously recorded until recently but it is fair to assume that they were constrained to ensuring that their learning led them into a recognizable vocational area. The fate of this 97% was undermined by the dissolution of the apprenticeship programme in the 1980s, but has now re-emerged in the shape of specialized Diplomas, and we saw an earlier incarnation in the Vocational Educational qualifications and government led initiatives such as the Youth Opportunity Programmes which have preceded them.
Specialised Diplomas give the UK a long awaited opportunity to consolidate and improve provision for the majority of its 14-19 year olds, too long side lined in the emphasis on gaining level 5 and above in SATS, Grade A* at GCSE and Grade A at GCE A-level.
All young people aged 14-19 were granted a national entitlement to study one of fourteen vocational areas by the Education Act 2006. ...
Download paper
Not exactly what you need?

Related papers

What is youth? Youth classification developed in the UK and Europe as a result of construction.
In 1700, the UK and other European countries were still depended on agriculture and child labour was essential in improving the productivity (Bassani, 2008,p 19). In mid 1700s, young people were still working at an early age such as 8 years and girls could be married at the age of 10 years (Swingewood, 2000). There was high infant mortality as almost one third of the children died before the age…
INCREASING DEMAND FOR HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE FOR OLDER PEOPLE IN CHINA, COMPARISON WITH UK
The increase in demand is associated with smaller family sizes and dispersed population, thereby reducing the incidences of home support. At the same time, there is not a great balance between the demand and supply of healthcare facilities and medical interventions resulting in serious issues and challenges. The main objectives of the research are to explore the increasing demand for healthcare…
Consider the professional role of the Youth and Community worker in 2013 and how it reflects the needs of young people.
From a functional point of view, several definitions can emerge for one: It can be viewed as a program or set of programs focusing on young people’s needs, experiences and contribution (Smith 2001). In another sense, one can describe it as voluntary participation in which young people become involved in social work. It can also be described as communal process through which the youth strive to…
Analyse the impact of the cuts to Youth Services on young people and on the quality of youth provision at your placement agency.
Youth service personnel training at Worth Unlimited has equally been frustrated by the cuts implying that youth workers are not adequately prepared to deal with the complex situations facing young people today. Communities are encountering a youth problem since there is rampant adolescent and teenage delinquency, besides the serious shortage of skills and talents that can offer innovative…
Employment Opportunities for Young People in UK
Since 1951 it has consistently been the top 3% of students - as measured by A-level capped performance - who have had the luxury of learning for its own sake (Ainley, 2006). The destinations post-16 of the remaining 97% were not assiduously recorded until recently but it is fair to assume that they were constrained to ensuring that their learning led them into a recognizable vocational area. The…
Managing Diversity and Equal Opportunities
Moreover, the workplace is subject to a staggering array of governmental regulations governing many aspects of the composition, organization, and treatment of the workforce.…
Barriers to Education in Young Parents
The research data is collected through the internet search engine www.google.com and have used the references published after 2004.…