Immigration, Migration, and Society - Essay Example

Only on StudentShare

Extract of sample
Immigration, Migration, and Society

Moreover, immigration had become a problem in the United Kingdom because of the government’s failure to man its borders. This situation led to a mass influx of immigrants through the porous borders into the country. In recent years, there has been a substantial increase in the number of migrants from the new EU member countries. By the year 2010, immigrants from these countries stood at 20% while the other 80% accounted for immigrants from non-EU member countries (Cohen, 2001).
In the UK, the responsibility of administering immigration control rests with the Home Department’s Secretary of State. The Secretary delegates most of the functions of this office to his subordinates. The controls enforced by these state officers are defined by the legislature and interpreted by the judiciary (Rosenblatt and Lewis, 1997). The Secretary of State is further expected to exercise some discretion while making his decisions related to immigration controls. Depending on the nature of the decision made, the concerned party can appeal against the decision via a judicial review or an independent appellate body (Rosenblatt and Lewis, 1997).
The immigration Act 1971 gives the guideline as pertaining those subject to the immigration control, functions, and authorities of the appellate bodies, and prescribes the penalties to be levied on those who breach the immigration control (Rosenblatt and Lewis, 1997). The Asylum procedures were tightened by the passing of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996. The Act created new penalties to those who applied for asylum via fraudulent means. Further, the employers are required by the Act to employ persons with valid work permits only.
Migrations are said to be caused by factors such as; desire to create wealth, escape from war or civil strife, and taking jobs abroad. Migrations are best described by push-pull factors. Factors such as civil strife will tend to push people away ...
Download paper

Summary

Problems bedeviling women have further been compounded by the immigration controls that are more favorable to men than to women. These…
Author : ddenesik

Related Essays

International Migration and development
10 pages (2510 words) Essay
mmigration, Migration, and Society
8 pages (2008 words) Essay
Immigration, Migration, and Society
3 pages (753 words) Assignment
Immigration, Migration, and Society
3 pages (753 words) Assignment
Immigration (
8 pages (2008 words) Research Paper
Immigration and British Media
5 pages (1255 words) Essay
Got a tricky question? Receive an answer from students like you! Try us!