Please boost your Plan to download papers
the effect of low self esteem on college students
Pages 2 (502 words)
The student cannot take responsibility for their actions. The emotional effect makes them vulnerable to others who take advantage of them. They are easy to convince and are therefore easily misled by others.1
The student is…
Research shows that the student may engage in violation of college rules as a means to boost their self-esteem by being labeled a hero. Some will display strange behaviors just to seek for approval from others and to compensate for their low self-concept.3
1. Depression: The feeling of not being good enough is depressing to college students. They spend time pondering on their inadequacies. This makes them rely on outward success to boost their sense of self worth. They therefore push to ensure they do well academically but when they do not, their conscience is deeply disturbed.4
2. Alcoholism and drug abuse: Research points to most cases of alcoholism being as a result of low self-worth. The stress that is brought by lack of self worth causes to the students who lack of peace on the student. Students affected by this try to overcome through self destructing means such as drug abuse. They find relief in excitement that is caused by these coping strategies like alcoholism.5
3. Suicide: when the distress gets to extreme levels, it breeds feelings of self destruction. They develop disgust in the goodness of life and this explains the suicide incidences in colleges.6 People with low self concept are generally dangerous to self, let alone to others. They are bitter and easily irritated.
4. Poor academic performance: This is almost a direct consequence of self esteem to any student. The diverted attention to fix the feelings of inadequacy tear the student apart so much that they can not focus on studies. They are also de motivated by failure and lack an inner sense of ability.7
1. Self credit: this is about developing self recognition. College students should know how to congratulate themselves when they achieve academically. When they pass exams, they should learn to reward themselves for any job they feel they did well.8
2. Avoiding comparing oneself with others: ...
Not exactly what you need?