The lighting shifts as the man walks from the veranda with greater amount of daylight into the passageway with shadow and lesser light. This scene is approximately 15 seconds.
3. This is also a medium shot but here the camera pauses as the man observes Douzi. The natural light is falling on Douzi as he is standing outside in the veranda. Another medium shot of dancers practicing their act with loud music. 1 second
6. Douzi bows gracefully. Camera takes a close-shot of Xiaolou who has a stunned expression on his face. Scene is shot in the passageway that is dark with the only natural light coming from the sky that lights up the veranda. Mr. Na inquires from Douzi if he can sing old style opera. Camera stays on Mr. Na because Guan answers for him. Mister Na gets comfortable on a bench and waits for Douzi to perform.
7. The dancing boys stop, this scene too has been edited because it directly shows a close-shot of a group of boys standing still with Xiaolou in the centre. They have worried and stunned expressions on their faces. This is a 1 second shot.
8. The next shot is a close-up of Douzi delivering his lines with great feeling. In the flow of his performance, he delivers the key dialogue incorrectly as “…Yet I am by nature a boy, not a girl” and not the other way round.
11. The next is a medium shot that is taken from behind Douzi as it shows his back. The camera focuses a medium shot at Mister Na as he gets up from his bench. The scene shows Mister Na deliberately walking past Douzi and progressing forward.
13. The camera shows medium shot in natural light as Mister Na progresses towards the veranda followed by Guan and performers. It also shows Douzi moving towards him as well. Mister Na progresses out of the frame. Xiaolou snatches a tobacco pipe from Master Lian’s hand. The camera now focuses on Xiaolou who spots Douzi and grabs him by the collar and shakes him.
20. Next is a close-up of Douzi as he