Tay - Sachs disease-it is a rare autosomal-recessive, continuous and finally calamitous neurodegenerative disorder. The symptoms surface before the baby attains six months of age. Symptoms include; loss of motor skills, startle reaction, muscle paralysis, seizures, slow…
3. Testing for carrier or affected individuals with Tay-Sachs disease; blood screening for hexosaminidase-A (Hex-A) mutation in suspected individual that either have family history or are of Ashkenazi Jewish descent is used to identify carriers. Blood test is performed antenatal using chronic villus sampling and amniocentesis or after birth.
5. Function of lysosomes; they produce enzyme Hexosaminidase-A (Hex-A) that prevents buildup of fatty materials called GM2 ganglioside in the cells brain and nerves. This further averts malfunctioning of nerves and brain cells (Americo, Filho, & Shapiro, 2010).
6. Role of Hexosaminidase-A enzyme; this enzyme is responsible for abasement of GM2 ganglioside and many other biological molecules that have terminal N-acetyl hexosamins in both the brain cells and nervous cells. Deficiency of enzyme hexosaminidase A causes Tay-Sachs disease due to increased buildup of toxic GM2 ganglioside a fatty substance that destroys brain cells and nerves. This results in motor difficulties and other signs and symptoms.
7. Diagnosis of Tay-Sachs disease; blood test is analyzed for enzyme assay or biochemical examination that reveals the levels of hexosaminidase- A in an individual. Affected individuals have less -hexosaminidase A blood and other cells than non-carriers.
8. Management; Tay-Sachs disease has no cure; only management is to relieve symptoms. Prevent airway and lung problems; relieve dysphagia and medication for fits, muscle stiffness and eye problems (Chamoles, Blanco, Gaggioli, & Casentini, 2002).
Chamoles, N. A., Blanco, M., Gaggioli, D., & Casentini, C. (2002). Tay-Sachs and Sandhoff diseases: Enzymatic diagnosis in dried blood spots on filter paper: Retrospective diagnoses in newborn-screening cards. Clinica Chimica Acta, 318(1-2), 133–137. doi:10.1016/S0009-8981(02)00002-5
Ohno, K., Saito, S., Sugawara, K., & Sakuraba, H. (2008). Structural ...
Cite this document
(“Case Study Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 250 words - 17”, n.d.)
Retrieved from https://studentshare.net/nursing/765264-case-study
(Case Study Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 250 Words - 17)
“Case Study Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 250 Words - 17”, n.d. https://studentshare.net/nursing/765264-case-study.
percent, but a politically inexperienced governor feels that it is necessary to eliminate these programs thought it is necessary to eliminate the programs. Being the prisons director, I decided to give my response to the inexperienced governor that explains why the policies
Today, the meaning of propaganda is used comprehensively to connote public relations. The government uses mass relations to disseminate accurate information on policies and their adversaries. The two frequent features that presented propaganda’s new possibilities were mass
The amount of organizational takeovers and company mergers has been considered a standard of measure of the level of economic development. In most cases, company takeovers have been associated with incidents
sively become more complicated, labor shortages will become evident in most of the mature industries and companies especially in the developed countries. At the same time, a more than needed number of employees with skilled talent are likely to be seen in other areas and
A company should embrace technology in handling production process.
Bella India has skilled personnel as evidenced in the way management tackles technical issues such as reduction in transitional time between St Louis and
1 Pages(250 words)Essay
GOT A TRICKY QUESTION? RECEIVE AN ANSWER FROM STUDENTS LIKE YOU!
Let us find you another Essay on topic Case Study for FREE!