Town Bridge is a combined bascule and a suspension bridge located in England’s London city. It was constructed for a period of eight years that is, from 1886 to 1894, along river Thames. The bridge is close to the tower of London from where its name was derived. Among its components are two towers at its upper level by two walkways, designed to endure the horizontal weights exerted by the hanging sections of the bridge. The vertical component of the weights in the suspended sections and the vertical reactions of the two walkways are carried by the two strong towers. By the end of the ninetieth century, London had grown so much with the population of Londoners increasing radically, but still motorists and pedestrians were restricted to use of a single bridge called the London Bridge, which would be used to move in and out of the city. Traffic jams became unbearable and with great expectation, the Londoners waited for the completion of the New Bridge which had been initiated by Sir Horace Jones, the City Architect and Sir John Wolfe Barry, who devised the idea of a bascule bridge with two towers built on piers. The construction took place at the time of steel revolution when made structures made of steel had taken centre stage in the human civilization. Size The bridge is estimated to be 800 feet (244 meters) in long with two towers of which each are 213 feet (65 meters) in height, built on piers. The central span of about 200 feet (61 meters) between the towers is divided into two equal bascules, which possibly can be elevated to an angle of 83 degrees to enable river traffic to pass. The bascules, approximately weigh 1,000 tonnes each are counterbalanced to minimise the effort needed for faster raising within a short time span (Speaker-Yuan, p98). Initially, high levels open walkways which were created a between the two towers were given a dull reputation. They were termed as hideouts for prostitutes and pickpockets. This made them to be rarely used and sometimes not to be used by pedestrians at all due to fear until their closure. After several years; in 1982 they were re-opened as a result of an exhibition which is currently housed in the bridge towers. As a result pedestrians have embraced the use of the walkways and this has eased movements in and out of the city. The bridge is currently used by over 40 thousand people including motorists, cyclist and pedestrians. Measures have also been put in place order to maintain the effectiveness of the historic structure. Among them are 20 miles per hour speed restriction and about 18 load limits. Gadgets have also been installed to warn and send a fixed penalty to drivers who break these rules. Refurbishment Announcement were made in April 2008 that the bridge towers would undergo refurbishment which would run at a cost of 4 million sterling pounds and for a period of four years. The scope of work involved scraping off the old paints and repainting in blue and white. Scaffolds were erected together with plastic sheets which would prevent the scrapped paints from falling into the river thereby causing pollution. Renovation was completed in mid 2009. Modern lighting systems were installed and they were meant to be used by both motorists and pedestrians and during the subsequent exhibitions. Generally the facelift was done in order to meet the required standards of bridge construction in accordance to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB).