“15,000 people have died since 1984, when a gas leak at the Carbide plant poisoned the Bhopal air on a December night” (Shapoo &Vaidyanathan). According to some unofficial sources, the death toll could be even bigger. Union carbide had 50.9% share in UCIL, the company which caused this huge tragedy. The Indian government had control over the remaining 49.1% of the shares. Supreme Court of India allowed Union carbide to sell out its shares to Eveready Industries India Limited in 1994 even though the compensation cases were pending in the Civil and criminal courts in Bhopal, India. In 2010, one of the district court of Bhopal convicted seven ex-employees of UCL along with its chairman Warren Anderson. The court declared 2 years imprisonment as punishment and $ 2000 as fine to these culprits. However, Anderson refused to accept these punishments, citing the reason that Indian courts do not have the authority to punish him since he is an American citizen. Anderson’s argument has caused many controversies and debates with respect to international law. It should be noted that plenty of companies operating internationally at present. It is quite possible that these companies may create problems in overseas soil and the question of compensation arises then. Moreover the compensation distributed for the victims also created controversies in India. ...Show more
Compensation: Bhopal Gas Tragedy The Bhopal disaster or gas tragedy was occurred on the night of 2–3 December 1984 at Bhopal, the capital city of Indian State Madhya Pradesh. American Company Union Carbide was responsible for this tragedy. The CEO of Union carbide was Warren Anderson at that time…
The pesticide plant was Union Carbide Pesticide India Limited. The immediate death toll was 2,259 and the death toll related to the gas release was 3,787. 1979 was when a MIC was introduced in the production plant. The water entered the tank containing 42 tons of MIC.
The plant had faced tremendous challenges as well as accidental hazards due to various shortcomings in its operational instruments. In 1984, the Bhopal plant had faced a dreadful disaster for the outflow of Methyl Isocyanate from the tank. This resulted in death of thousands and sufferings from chronic health diseases.
The corporate houses or rather the global corporate houses might be considered as the flag bearer of this immense potential of trade and investment. However with great power come greater responsibilities and the corporate are no exception to this golden rule.
As the corporate kept on spreading like an inferno it was realised that apart from market based financial success a corporate now also has to look after the associated social and moral values of each particular place that they might venture in. Courting this situation the concept of Corporate Social Responsibilities emerged that was later maintained by some and earned them good reputation while refuted by others and marked them in human history as profit mongers, ethics less business tycoons who valued individual benefit much above the optimum social solution.
The subsequent release formed a low lying cloud of gas that engulfed the shantytown in and around the industrial zone and affected the deaths of thousands within the local community. The true extent of the loss of life is still a hotly contested issue. For purposes of this research analysis, the author will assume that in excess of 8,000 people died from the immediate effects of the gas as well as health complications caused by exposure to the release.
There exist ample amount of documented evidence and reports that qualify the fact that private corporations have time and again compromised on the acceptable standards of integrity and honesty to bolster their profits and to ensure their sustainability (Chris 12).
Not only do the future generations not recognize these decisions as a sound action, rather the public remains under the constant threat of losing their lives and the government's credibility also starts to deplete, or at times, lost.
Unfortunately, the same phenomenon happened in India in late 1960's and early 1970's.
2.This spokesperson should be able to operate across cultures and ideally in more than one language. He or she should be academically well qualified and of a sober and respectable temperament, as well as able to deal confidently
20 pages (5000 words)Essay
Get a custom paper written by a pro under your requirements!
Win a special DISCOUNT!
Put in your e-mail and click the button with your lucky finger
Apply my DISCOUNT
Got a tricky question? Receive an answer from students like you!Try us!
Didn't find an essay?
Contact us via Live Chat, call us at +16312120006or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org