1. Why is the protagonist presented as “the man?”
2. What’s is the weather like at daybreak at the beginning of the story? Why is it important?
3. The author writes that the man is quick and alert in the things of life but only in those. What do we learn about the character?
4. What are the similarities between the man and the dog?
5. Why isn’t the man afraid of the frostbite and what is absurd about his frostbite reaction?
6. Why does the author emphasize about the cold and the man’s reaction to the cold?
7. Why does the main character shy away from certain parts of the road?
8. What opinion do you have about the man sending the dog ahead to aid in his safety and what would you have done?
9. Why does the author insinuate that the dog acts from instinct?