Calcium within the Human Body

Masters
Essay
Science
Pages 6 (1506 words)
Download 0
Calcium is a mineral that is found plentifully in nature and the human body. This important mineral plays an essential role in bone assembly: 99% of the calcium in the organism is stored in bone tissue. The remaining 1% is in the bloodstream and extracellular fluids (Holick 2001)…

Introduction


A fascinating interplay of pathways and signals are involved in calcium regulation. As research and new technologies evolve, new aspects are elucidated in these complex mechanisms. Various animal models have been used in order to understand the cellular responses and the hormonal regulation (Eckermann 2008).
Moe (2008) states "normal homeostatic regulation maintains serum levels, intracellular levels, and optimal mineral content in bone", summarizing the intricacy of structures and organs that contribute to "normal" levels. The major organs involved in the regulation of its metabolism are the parathyroid glands, the kidneys, the skeleton, and the gut (Wysolmerski & Insogna 2007). Our body obtains the necessary amount of calcium from two major sources: diet (through intestinal absorption) and bones (through calcium mobilization). Foods that include a high amount of calcium are diary milk, cheese yogurt, and green vegetables. The amount of calcium people need varies: young people need a high intake, so that growth and development are assured. Older women need calcium supplementation in order to prevent osteoporosis. Calcium is absorbed in the very beginning of the small bowel: duodenum and the first portion of the jejunum. ...
Download paper
Not exactly what you need?

Related papers

Calcium within the Human Body
A fascinating interplay of pathways and signals are involved in calcium regulation. As research and new technologies evolve, new aspects are elucidated in these complex mechanisms. Various animal models have been used in order to understand the cellular responses and the hormonal regulation (Eckermann 2008).…
Human biology
Changes in hormone levels can create poor oocyte quality. Controlling blood levels are also determining factors used to time oocyte retrieval and increase the number of oocytes that are retrieved (2005). The three hormones that can be tested so the best time for oocyte retrieval are LH (Luteinizing Hormone), oestradiol and progesterone.…
Liver
These plates radiate from the central vein. Each of these plates is of thickness of two cells. Between the adjacent cells lie small bile canaliculi that empty into bile ducts in the fibrous septa separating the adjacent liver lobules.…
Calcium as Second Messengers
Calcium ions are also important intracellular messengers. In fact, calcium ions are probably the most widely used intracellular messengers (Kimball, 2006). Calcium plays a fundamental role in a variety of cellular functions. It is involved in contraction, secretion, endocytosis, transport across membranes and in more general processes such as cell motility, cell growth and cell division (De…
Homeostasis
As body needs to respond to any disturbance in the internal milieu very quickly therefore initial response of the body is a reflex response usually takes place through peripheral controlling systems, especially nervous system. Failure of homeostasis causes diseases disease and sometimes death.…
Enzymes
Then we will utilize acquired information to examine a given experiment.…
Human biology Essay
The brain is also protected by the skull, and the spinal cord is also protected by the vertebrae.…